Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor (Oracle 10g Rel 2 ( 2 Node RAC ) , Solaris 10)
Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor [message #347109] Wed, 10 September 2008 13:58 Go to next message
feroze
Hi,

We usually create index on large tables with Parallel Degree 4 or 8 and after creating set it back to 1, ( Global and Local ).

Some body pointed that creating with Parallel increases the clustering_factor of index, How far is it True, and is there a relation between these 2.

Thanks

Re: Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor [message #347112 is a reply to message #347109] Wed, 10 September 2008 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Some body pointed that creating with Parallel increases the clustering_factor of index,

I don't know how this could be true.
Maybe you should ask to "somebody"

Regards
Michel
Re: Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor [message #347113 is a reply to message #347109] Wed, 10 September 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

>How far is it True,
What do your benchmark test show?
Re: Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor [message #347124 is a reply to message #347109] Wed, 10 September 2008 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harrysmall3
I'd also ask that person ("the someone") how CAN that be true?

I dont think anything you can do to an index is going to change the physical order of the table data and the number of contiguous or non-contiguous blocks in which they are contained.
So, I can not see any relationship between the two.

Build the index with different settings and compare

Regards,
Harry
Re: Relationsip between Parallel Degree & Clustering Factor [message #349406 is a reply to message #347109] Sun, 21 September 2008 09:45 Go to previous message
VivekSharma

Hi Feroze,

Yes, the statement that Rebuilding or Creating an Index in parallel can impact Clustering Factor is totally false but it is also quite possible that you might have wrongly interpreted the words of that SOMEBODY Razz

With that said, if you insert rows into a table in parallel and each parallel jobs getting one of the value to be inserted from Sequences or one of the value is a DATE field, then, yes, it can impact your clustering factor.

Regards
Vivek

[Updated on: Sun, 21 September 2008 11:39] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Partitioned table growing too fast
Next Topic: How to change value of CLUSTERING_FACTOR of index
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 07:56:44 CDT 2024